What is a 'visa'?
It is a permit to enter Japan issued by the Japanese government to foreign nationals. Other than a tourist visa (a stay up to 90 days) and a student visa (up to 2 yrs.), there are various visas such as working holiday visa, working visa, family stays visa, spouse visa, etc.
How long does it take to have a student visa application processed?
It takes about 6 months. It is necessary to prepare for the visa application far in advance.
Do I need to apply for a student visa by myself?
Application process for a student visa is conducted by the school. However, school asks you to prepare the necessary documents by yourself in advance.
If applicants who wish to enroll to Private Lessons and JLPT Preparation Program, the Naganuma School cannot support your application for a student visa.
Can you help me prepare the necessary documents for the application?
Study abroad agents can help you. We are presently collaborating with some agents in Taiwan, China, Hong Kong, Korea, Vietnam, Russia and Mongolia.
Can those who do not have a student visa be admitted to the school?
Yes, there are many students who possess a visa other than the student visa.
Can I change a visa to a different one?
Tourist visa → student visa   Yes. (You need to apply for a student visa about 6 months in advance.)
Student visa → tourist visa   No.
Student visa → Working visa   Yes.
Working visa → student visa   Please consult us.
Working holiday visa → student visa   Yes. (You need to apply for a student visa about 6 months in advance.)
Student visa → working holiday visa   No.
* Please note that there are cases that you cannot change the visa status. Please consult us for details.
Can I extend a tourist visa?
It depends on your nationality. The length of stay of a tourist visa holder is 90days or shorter for many nationals.
Please check it out on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Admission process

When am I supposed to take a level check test?
We ask you to take web-test in advance when you decide to enroll to school.
Please complete the test with following the instruction
When am I going to buy the textbooks?
You will purchase the textbooks soon after the classes commence.

About the courses

Do you have a 6-month course?
No. You may take 2 single term programs in succession. (a single term = 3 months)
Can I study just for a month?
Yes, but you need to consult with us in advance because it depends on the availability of seat, period of study, etc.
Which student nationality do you have the most?
Can I attend other classes besides the classes in the morning?
You can join at other programs offered in the afternoon such as JLPT Preparation Program, Kanji Class, etc.
Extra fee will be charged for those programs.
You may use the self-study room after your class.


Is the payment in one lump sum?
For single semester programs, payment is made in advance in a lump sum.
For courses lasting one year or longer, payment is made in advance for six months at the time of enrollment and every six months thereafter.
Are textbooks included in the tuition fee?
Yes, textbooks are included. For details, please see the Fee page on our website.
Are there any discounts depending on the visa status?


Are there any scholarships?
There is a Naganuma scholarship and there are several scholarships granted by other organizations.


Do the students of single term programs study with the students of long-term courses in the same class?
Yes, they join in the same class. Regardless of the duration of the study, you will be placed in a class that best suits your level of Japanese.
Do we receive tests while studying in the course?
There is a check test after every lesson of the textbook, a mid-term test and a term-end test. These tests will tell you whether you are on the right track of learning and show the areas where you need to review. The term-end test is a comprehensive test composed of conversation, listening and writing.


Can I get a commuter pass?
A student commuter pass discount certificate will be issued to those who wish to receive one. Students can purchase commuter passes for trains (JR, subway, and private railways) and buses between the school and the nearest station to their residence at a student discount rate. The discount rate is approximately 40%.
* However, only students enrolled in a course of one year or more are eligible for this discount. Students enrolled in single-semester programs are not eligible.
Do you have a school dormitory?
We have a school dormitory for women. Please apply for a place before you enroll at the school. You may apply after enrollment but we cannot always meet your request when your application is late.
What kind of part-time job are the students engaged in?
Students find part-time jobs at restaurants and convenience stores.
How much does it cost to live in Tokyo?
Including costs such as rent, food, utilities and so on, it will generally be in the range of ¥80,000 to ¥150,000 per month.
  • Inquiry
  • FAQ
  • Please feel free to contact us for any questions and concerns